Dodge has decided not field cars in NASCAR for the 2013 season.
It was announced on Tuesday by Dodge, that the car manufacturer will not return to NASCAR after the 2012 season. SRT Motorsports president Ralph Gilles spoke to ESPN that the manufacturer spent the last five months evaluating all options for their future. Plenty of opportunities emerged but Dodge decided to withdraw.
“A number of opportunities emerged, and our team worked diligently to put a structure together to fit our overall business and competitive objects,” said Gilles. “While we have been please and enthused with the amount of interest from teams and sponsors over that time, in the end, we simply couldn’t develop the right structure.”
NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France released a statement concerning Dodge’s departure from NASCAR. France mentions how the car manufacturer has been a part of memorable moments in the sport.
“Dodge has been a great partner to NASCAR for many years, and they have been part of numerous memorable moments throughout our history,” said France.
Earlier this season Penske Racing, the only Sprint Cup team racing in Dodge cars decided to switch to Ford beginning in 2013. Since Penske’s announcement to switch manufacturers, Dodge revealed their 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series model car for 2013 without a team signed on to race in them.
With Dodge withdrawing from NASCAR competition in 2013, it will now be the second time the car manufacturer has pulled out of NASCAR. The first time was back in 1977 and Dodge did not make a NASCAR return until 2001.
France wishes the manufacturer well and hopes to see Dodge back in NASCAR in the future.
“They made a business decision not to return in 2013, as they did in 1977 before returning in 2001. We wish them well and hope they again will choose to return to NASCAR at a later date,” said France.