Penn State Football: Good and Bad News, Non-Sandusky Edition

Published: 26th Mar 12 5:38 pm
Tweet
by Chris Hengst
College Football and MLB Blogger
Rob Christy-US PRESSWIRE

Penn State football is finally in the news for something unrelated to Jerry Sandusky. Unfortunately, police finding drugs and drug paraphernalia in the apartment of Nittany Lions players doesn’t inspire the kinds of headlines needed around Happy Valley right now.

According to the student newspaper, the Daily Collegian, police seized the aforementioned items in executing a search warrant at the residence of wideout Devon Smith and defensive end Jack Crawford. The latter exhausted his eligibility and was a candidate to be a late-round pick in April’s NFL Draft.

Apparently, police were called to the apartment on March 14th in response to a “damaged window screen on the second floor” and the possibility of crime. When officers entered, the drugs were in plain sight and the search warrant immediately followed.

StateCollege.com elaborates on what was retrieved:

According to the search warrant, police found a grinder still with marijuana in the bottom, ashtrays filled with blunts in the common area, and a scale on one of the night stands in the bedrooms. Police seized the blunts, stems and other paraphernalia, among other items that included a can of Hurricane malt liquor, a prescription bottle belonging to Curtis Drake that police found under the futon, and a blue towel with buds in a dresser drawer, according to the search warrant.

Neither athlete has been charged but an investigation continues.

In light of the Sandusky toxicity, I expect new head coach Bill O’Brien to wield a stern, Roger Goodell-like stance toward discipline. Crawford is beyond his reach but Smith probably represents a chance for an example if charges are filed.

It would be difficult to lose a two-year starter and his 52 catches, 765 yards and 3 touchdowns in 2010-2011 but O’Brien must build a foundation. And considering the amount of ill-will hovering around Sandusky and the program, Smith is not long for Penn State.

The news wasn’t all bad for the Nittany Lions on Monday. Maryland quarterback transfer Danny O’Brien visited Penn State spring practice, his second trip to campus in recent days.

O’Brien figures to choose from Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, Ole Miss and Penn State relatively soon.

Connect with Rant Sports
Get more Traffic