Heisman Trophy Finalists Announced; Who is the Favorite?

Published: 5th Dec 11 5:34 pm
Tweet
by Riley Schmitt
Big 10 Editor, NBA Featured Columnist
Rob Christy-US PRESSWIRE

Tonight marks the night that the finalists for the Heisman Trophy are announced.  In fact, the announcement just came down mere minutes ago.  In a stunning turn of events, my Heisman slideshow actually went a perfect 5 for 5 in picking the finalists.  I’m not sure the order will be right, but you can take a look anyways.

Montee Ball of Wisconsin, Andrew Luck of Stanford, Tyrann Mathieu of LSU, Robert Griffin III of Baylor, and Trent Richardson of Alabama are the five players making the trek to New York.  All five are worthy in their own right, but who stands out the most?  Ball is on pace to shatter Barry Sanders’s touchdown record, Luck will be the number 1 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, Richardson has been dominant for two years, RG3 is the most exciting player in college football while the Honey Badger disrupts the flow of the game unlike anyone else.

I think we can eliminate Mathieu right away.  I love the guy and his style of play, but his one game suspension due to a failed drug test will keep him from receiving many votes.  However, he is just a sophomore so I expect to be back in the Heisman race next year.

Ball will probably the next one we can drop.  The touchdown amount is impressive, but Wisconsin has two losses this season.  Those are no fault of Ball, but will the voters feel comfortable voting for a player whose team has multiple losses?  I guess we will see.

I believe that Andrew Luck will finish third.  He’s gotten by on name recognition alone most of the year and his numbers aren’t exactly jaw-dropping.  He’s going to make a lot of money playing football, but that should have no impact on this Heisman race.

That leaves us with Richardson and Griffin.  I’ve gone back and forth on this numerous times.  If we apply the rule we established with Ball, multiple losses should deny Griffin a chance at the trophy.  However, his numbers are video game like.  Not only can he throw with the best of him, the added threat he brings on the ground is incredible.  If for some reason he returns to school next year, he should win the trophy going away.

Richardson doesn’t have the flashy numbers like Ball, but I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.  He enjoys punishing defenders.  Richardson is a freak of nature when it comes to strength, but people underrate his speed.  Richardson should be the top running back selected in the draft if he decides to declare.

When it is all said and done on Saturday night, I’m sticking with RG3.  His numbers are out of this world and he’s made Baylor relevant in college football.  Baylor!  I never thought I would say that.  All five guys are worthy candidates, but none of them can bring the excitement to college football that RG3 does.

Who do you think should win the trophy?  Let us know in the comment section.

Follow me on Twitter @Riles23

Connect with Rant Sports
Get more Traffic

One Rant to “Heisman Trophy Finalists Announced; Who is the Fa...”

Check out what others are saying about this post...

1. History at stake for Heisman hopefuls – ESPN (blog) | Trend Tycoon! says:

[...] Barkley not among Heisman Trophy finalistsLos Angeles TimesBleacher Report -OCRegister -Rant Sportsall 40 news [...]

Leave a Rant

Agree? Disagree? Have a different opinion? Let us know what you think...
    and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!