Paul Troupe
Nebraska Cornhuskers, All Sports Columnist
Scott Powers - espnchicago.com

The Nebraska Cornhuskers made quite a few splashes at the receiver position in their last two signing classes. First, the Huskers were able to secure a commitment from Jamal Turner. Then, last season, the Huskers took Jordan Westerkamp in the middle of B1G 10 country.

Now that Westerkamp is on campus and in fall camp, where does he fit into this offense?

Nate Swift was a pretty darn good receiver for the Cornhuskers. He pretty much caught anything thrown his way and became the all time leader in Nebraska football history with 166 receptions. Swift was beloved by all Husker fans during his time at Nebraska and many were sad to see him go.

Now, Jordan Westerkamp has an opportunity to fill that role for the Huskers, at least early on.

Tim Beck’s offense incorporates a lot of spread schemes. I believe that Kenny Bell and Quincy Enunwa will be the starting receivers for the Cornhuskers, which means that Westerkamp will be competing with sophomore Jamal Turner for the slot position. While the freshmen gives up one inch, he does have fifteen pounds on Turner.

Not only that, but Westerkamp played the position in high school, so he better understands what is required of him. His transition into the offense should really be just how quickly he can pick it up and learn plays.

The Cornhuskers are in desperate need on a slot receiver who can make the catch in traffic, use their bodies against slower linebackers or smaller cornerbacks. Westerkamp just has that natural feel for the position when compared to Turner.

While Turner could be that guy, Westerkamp is a more natural fit and should be the first choice against Southern Mississippi.

Paul Troupe is the lead writer for the Nebraska Cornhuskers and San Antonio Spurs, while covering many major sports for RantSports. You can follow him on Twitter @gamin4HIM

Buy Nebraska Cornhuskers Football Tickets | Buy Nebraska Cornhuskers Football Apparel
Connect with Rant Sports

Recent www.RANTSPORTS.COM Videos

Get more Traffic

Leave a Rant

Agree? Disagree? Have a different opinion? Let us know what you think...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!